- Provides professional nursing care within an assigned unit according to established standards and procedure.
- Receive patients in the ward with proper patient document.
- Carrying out the nursing assessment as soon as the patient is admitted in the ward.
- Document the initial assessment findings in the progress notes.
- Takes the nursing history, summarizes data, and states nursing diagnoses/patient care needs.
- Observes and records sign, symptoms and behaviors, including the physiological status of patients, reports assessment changes to the concerned authority.
- Follows policy and deliver designated nursing interventions to assigned patients that are consistent with the stated medical plan of care.
- Executes physician’s orders for all assigned patients; safely and properly administers medications and treatments.
- Check inventory of all equipment, crash cart and instruments as per the inventory registered and inform the senior nurse in case of any discrepancies noted.
- Check the handover book for any new instructions during every shift
- Prepare, check, maintain and submit the census to the concerned department.
- Enquire and know about the following:
- New admission
- Transfer(Internal and External)
- Surgery and investigation list
- Handover and takeover of all patients as per the guideline mentioning in the handling over and taking over protocol.
- Greet all patients as well as assess the patients and the units.
- Send patients for surgeries or investigations as per the schedule.
- Ensure that the water and diet is provided for all patients as per the diet orders.
- Accompany the consultant for clinical orders and carry out their written order.
- Post all IP issues and bedside procedures.
- Accurately maintain and complete all relevant documents.
- Check the patient records for any change, special order, etc.
- Monitor vital signs routine as per the orders and document it.
- Endorse the patients to the next shift staff.
- Ensure that the hygienic needs of patients are met and the unit is tidy at all times.
- Check medicine for the entire day in each shift.
- Ensure that all the admissions, transfers and discharges are entered in the admission discharge register.
- Check and receive all investigation reports done during the day.
- Send intimation to the concerned department.
- Ensure replacement of medicines, if not endorse to the next shift.
- Responsible for collection of specimens when required, ensuring correct labeling and dispatch to the pathology.
- Ensure that all items used for patient inclusive of medications, surgical supplies are duly recorded and charged.
- Maintain residents’ safety by taking preventive measures against accidents.
- Explain the procedure to the patients and their relatives to avoid fear and confusion.
- Dispose all the sharps in separate puncture proof container.
- All linens/materials to be disposed in appropriate color-coded bucket as decided by the hospital infection control policy.
- In case of any incidents, inform to the senior staff immediately and fill up the incident form for further action.
- Take consent from the patient before carrying out the procedure.
- Follow the Standard Operating Procedures of the department.
- Attends and participates in in-service education classes, on-the-job training programs, meetings etc.
- Any other job assigned by the management.
- Accept transfer order given by management at any other location of the hospital.
- Be present in dress code and identity card issued by the hospital during duty hours.
Additional responsibility during Night Shifts
- Prepare the night census
- Proper filing of patient file
- Make ready for next day investigations/procedure both the documents as well as patients
Health and safety
Employees must be aware of the responsibilities placed on them under the health and safety at and any subsequent relevant legislation and must follow these in full at all times including ensuring that they act in line with all agreed procedures at all times in order to maintain a safe environment for patients, visitors and staffs. Failure to comply with these policies may result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.
All staffs have a responsibility to act and follow all instructions to protect patients, staff and others from HIC. All staffs are required to follow the HIC guidelines. Failure to comply with any of these may result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal. As a registered health care professional, you are responsible for ensuring that:
- Perform practices so far is reasonably practicable, protect patients, staffs and other person against risks of acquiring HIC
- If any patients present with an infection or acquire an infection during treatment that they are identified promptly and manage according to good clinical practice to treat the infection and reduce risk of transmission
- Follow all policies, procedures and processes to meet the duties set out in HIC guidelines
Supervision, guidance, monitoring, implementation and evaluation of waste management program.
Job Specification & Requirements
Minimum Academic Requirements:
BN/B.Sc. Nursing with registration in Nepal Nursing Council.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability Requirements:
- Effective organizational skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills in Nepali and English (speaking as well as writing)
- Ability to make sound judgment and decision
- Good computer skills
- Ability to make prompt decisions
- Positive Attitude
Work Experience: 3 year working experience in Critical Care,OT/ER.